Thursday, May 22, 2008

choppin' wood

Remember when the Jags had this as their slogan until the punter tried to chop himself up so he could go on the IR and avoid those rigorous practice routines? I do to. This now pertains to my venture back into fantasy baseball. To say the season for both my squads got off to a slow start would be an understatement. In my head-to-head I started out 0-4! In my roto I bounced around the bottom three for the first few weeks as well. I am now happy to say that the ship has righted. I am on my way to my 4th consecutive victory to even the record at .500. I always knew this wasn't an 0-4 squad and realized that having the most points scored against you each week can crush your fantasy baseball dreams just as fast as it does in football.

The roto squad is a different story. Due to time zone differences we changed from a live draft to an auto-draft. This sucks for me since I like to draft more than I like to play. It is especially hard since my rankings are generally way different than those of Yahoo! or ESPN or sportsline. I just didn't have the patience to go in and make any wholesale changes. The only three guys I wanted were Hamilton, Verlander and Hamels, but where to rank them? So, I just didn't bother.
I hated the look of my squad right out of the gate and started to relentlessly pursue trades and scower the waiver wire. Since opening day I lead the league in transactions....have to lead the league in something right, and I have only three players remaining from the squad I "drafted". Those three being Cano, Hamilton and John Maine. Well, I am happy to say I have climbed all the way back up to second place thanks in part to FA wonders Nate McClouth, Carlos Quentin and Edinson Volquez. My pitching stafff has really started to heat up and considering Johan Santana is statistically my worst pitcher, the future looks bright. I have a mountain to climb to catch the guy in first, but it's a long season and his ridiculously hot team will start to cool off at some point...right?

I'm sure none of this will matter because as fall rolls around my obsession with fantasy football will kick in and I will forget my baseball teams even exist. I guess we'll just enjoy the ride and see what happens. Next time I may even write an article about my views on players and who will turn it around and who will fade away through the long, hot summer. Until then, Mark Schlereth sucks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.