Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Arian Nation

After years away, I am here to once again make myself look foolish to my legion of reader...yes, singular. This Saturday marks the annual rite of passage that is my keeper league draft party. We have upgraded from an 8 gallon to 16 gallon keg this year and will institute a new rule that requires a shot of Jameson for every time a person picks someone already taken. What this means is that we will be twice as drunk as we all were last year. My lovely wife is once again going to be serving up her bevy of excellent appetizers to help keep our belly's full so we can consume even more. She is a saint, although she is draft partied out so after the apps are done, she will be leaving us for the day. This will be our first time policing our own drunken asses in the wee hours of the night. Smells like trouble, and trouble smells like Ty. I have greased my way up into the top 4 picks with a shrewd trade of Dwayne Bowe, who I wasn't planning on keeping anyway. I felt like this put me in the drivers seat from day 1 as I already have Arian Foster as a keeper so it would assure me of getting two of my top 5, which I think is clearly light years in front of 6 and beyond. Well, the fantasy Gods do not like when people try to hoard the good players so of course Chris Johnson is holding out and in danger of missing playing time. Does my top 4 now become a top 3? Can I afford to take CJ and wait for him since I am already sitting on Foster for the low price of a 5th rounder? When this trade went down, I was on easy street. I would sit and just wait to see if it was Rice of Charles that fell to me at 4. I was sitting dead read and now I am trying to adjust to a Verlander-esque hook. Hopefully someone jumps on CJ in front of me and eases my mind.

What is my drafting strategy this year? I almost always go WR in 1st round. It has been Moss and Andre multiple times over the past few years. I love me some Andre in this PPR format but someone needs to tell him he's allowed to score double digit TDs. Roddy?? He is a man-crush of mine, but #4 is just too soon. Someone always does crazy shit in round 1 so maybe AP will magically fall to me or someone in love with a WR or Rodgers will make a last ditch trade offer to get my spot. Fine by me...

I still have the second pick in the 2nd round as that is my draft slot pre-trade. I am hoping one of my top 4 WR is still there. Seems crazy to think they might all be gone, but in this ppr league, the last half of the first has seen some WR runs in the past. I know I have no shot at Andre in this league at that spot, but I am hoping to see any of Calvin, Roddy or Fitz fall to me there. Is Kolb great, probably not, but last year was clearly the floor for Fitz as he was catching passes from arena league backups, so anything Kolb does brings Fitz enormous upside into play. Am I worried his play will drop off after he just got paid? No, he got paid huge once before and only got better. I watch this guys summer passing camps on the news here in Minny and perhaps no player in the NFL wants it more. Fitz seems the best bet to make it to me, but he's one year removed from being the #5 pick, so my league obviously loves him.

The Brady Quinn squad:
Michael Vick - I had him last year and traded him for Drew Brees. Is he capable of going for monster points any week? Yep, just not on my team.

LeSean McCoy - Because I hate the Eagles. No idea where it comes from, but for fantasy purposes, I hate the Eagles.

Reggie Wayne - Questions about Manning and he's becoming TJ Houshmanzadeh

MJD - I was right on with my prediction of the LT demise. Guess who's next?

Daniel Thomas - Maybe it's the two first names.

Jay Cutler - Simply a doucheburger

Joe Flacco - He's a game manager in a running offense with an average receiving corp. Am I missing something?

Marques Colston - It's because his knees are so bad that we have to live with the, "Is this the year Meachem breaks out" every single year.

Just not feeling anything witty today so I am just going to quit. See you in 3 more years. FACE

Go Patriots.

No comments: